Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Story of Stuff documentary film by Annie Leonard, describes in a very effective visual presentation the life cycle of the stuff "the materials economy" starting form Extraction of the raw materials, production of goods from these materials after adding toxic substances to them, distribution of these goods, consumption "the heart of the system" and finally disposals. She explains the negative affect of over consuming of the limited natural resources, not only on these resources but to the whole environment including humans.

Annie emphasizes the plan "so intestinal" to drive the people to be crazy about shopping "making consumption our way of life" by Governments & Co-operations alliance. In order to achieve their goal, Annie pointed out two strategies the Planned Obsolescence and Perceived Obsolescence.

According to the film 99% of the goods bought in North America are trashed within 6 months.

Fortunately, I do not have the habit of buying things just because it is obsolete. I think female are more subject to Adv and fashion than males. The evidences provided with this film clearly show the negative effect of globalization on environment, including global warming.

3 comments:

chianew said...

haha...yes, to be a female, I have to agree with you that sometimes I am materialistic... I buy some useless stuff because of fashion.

Daglys said...

I agree with you. I think that women tent to buy more things than men. You can see that in a typical shopping day. For example, Men go shopping a specific thing and we don't buy anything else, but women buy almost all the store. I think that I'm going to show this video to my aunts....

nguyen said...

I agree with you about the woman consumption is really high, they are easier to be affected by ads and somethings likes that.